Monday, April 30, 2012

What Day is Today?

The UNESCO makes the 30th April, today, the International Jazz Day.

What is Jazz? Jazz as a music genre is so broad that there is no agreed definition of what it is.
From big band to bebop, from cool jazz to afro-cuban jazz,  from latin jazz and bossa nova to jazz fusion, from avant-garde jazz to nu jazz and free jazz...the subtypes of jazz are numerous and sometimes they could be very different from each other.

Many people mistaken jazz as music for the privileged, perhaps because of its relaxed and laid-back quality?
A certain type of music belongs to a certain class?
I know the history or the development of the music is closely related to some social classes, but in this age when music is almost open to all and shared by the world, I find it very peculiar that some people still classify music that way.
True that in the days when there is minimal entertainment and the radio was not even invented, only the rich and wealthy could afford musicians in their houses, at their disposal and enjoy live music whenever they please.
But the origins of jazz is nothing glamorous.
It is the music of and created by the Africans who were sold as slaves to America.
It is a music of a humble origin, of the slaves, prostitutes and the poor, played by musicians who a lot of them have drinking and drug problems and definitely very difficult financial situations.
Most of them were illiterate that there was no written scores for the music they play, so a lot of times they improvise.

Rooted in African traditions and born in New Orleans in the US, jazz tells the story of Afro-Americans:
their lives under slavery, their melancholy and sufferings, their voices against oppression and discrimination.
At the same time, jazz has witnessed social transformation: end of slavery, liberation of Afro-Americans and their success to win over the hearts of music lovers..
Well, perhaps sometimes I find some cool jazz too long and slow and electric jazz/ jazz fusion annoys me so much that it gives me headaches,
perhaps I couldn't decide if I love or hate Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock...
but when I hear that swing, the improvisation, the syncopation and the scat-singing!
Nothing seem to matter anymore--who cares about what type of jazz it is?! Who cares about what the critics think?!
As long as it pleases my ears, nothing matters anymore.
I never seem to grow tired of jazz.
And I hope I never grow tired of it.

Not only does jazz gives pleasure to my ears and soothes me,
I also love how it gives me little surprises and puts a smile on my face.
Exactly like how the music critic John Fordham described the music of Miles Davis,
the sound of the skipped heart-beat, the caught breath, the sudden smile”.
It speaks my mind.

To all jazz lovers and jazz cats around the world,
Happy International Jazz Day!

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment