Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Love for Brutality?

Preparing for tomorrow's class activity on the Syrian Crisis.
Going to speak as the Syrian National Council, the opposition group.
Know very little information, if any, about the event.
So little that I actually feel ashamed, as I spend the night doing some last minute reading on the topic.

Accidentally came across a vid on Youtube about the issue, with a title clearly against the hypocrisy of states which remain supportive to the Bashar regime.
So I clicked...and I shouldn't.
It is all about children who were severely injured or killed in the crisis.
Cries, blood, wounds, the corpses and their faces.

Not my first time watching death-related videos, but this is disturbing.
True that it is very sad but it doesn't make me cry, simply because it is so disturbing that it terrifies me.
The images are horrifyingly disturbing.
But the worst thing is, this horror is experienced by human beings just like us (and children).
This horror is happening in the same world we are living in, as I type and as you read, at this very moment.

How could anyone do this to another human being? Do they ever regret or feel ashamed?
How can they sleep at night or feast, knowing that their hands are full of blood?
How can they face their own children, when they murder other children the same age as their own?
War, or any form of violence I should say, is going to continue as long as human beings exist.
Sometimes, human beings are just animals, even though we believe we are not beasts.
But perhaps the only difference is that people justify and rationalize beastly behaviours while animals are completely honest.

Is our desire or love for brutality a part of our human nature?
The destructive or dark side of us, the 'death instinct' that Freud suggested?
Sometimes, I imagine: if we evolve fast enough to remove this brutal nature or desire for atrocity in our genes, could we live peacefully and happily together?

Words can't describe how I feel, with those images vividly flashing in my brain.
There is nothing more powerful than love; not hatred, not fear, not anger, not jealousy, not even violence or brutal force.
Readers, love as if today is the last day of your life.

Love & Peace,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment