Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What's the Name of this Song?!

What is worse than getting distracted while you should be working/ revising?
Getting distracted by yourself.

Found myself humming familiar tunes when I was writing my papers and revising.
Could even sing with some of the lyrics but couldn't recall the name of the song.
Every time when I'm sure that 'I know it!' but my mind gets stuck and I couldn't name it, then my mind goes crazy and I will be totally obsessed with it that I couldn't just leave it.
I know it's gross but sometimes I describe such a situation as 'brain constipation'.

Running around in my place, humming and singing it to everybody and begging them to tell me the name of the song.
And the part of lyrics I faintly remember is the funny part,
'we won't have to let others know that we own a telephone'

Mum asked, 'A telephone? when were you born?' 
She never seem to grow tired of making fun of my obsession for anything from the good old days of 1920s or 1950s, anything old-school and vintage.
'Yea, mum, I was born in the wrong time. Before someone finds out I'm a time-traveler, I should go back to my room to wear my bustier, then go back to my withdrawing room and have a cup of tea.'
On a second thought, I do all of what I have mentioned. 
Anyway, so none of them know the song in my head and I'm not surprised.

As I sing it again and again, it sounds more and more like a cha cha.
Not the typical fast and hot cha cha, but more like jazzy, bossa nova kind of cha cha.
Oh, right! I used to dance to this song.
I still remember vividly my dance classes. I was so young.
The first time I dance to this song is a summer day, much like today.
I like how my dancing school is located on a building near the flowers market.
Noisy, crowded and full of flowers, but once I push through the glass door of the school and the bell hang on the door rings, I'm in heaven.
I usually have classes after school, in school uniform and my schoolbag, but I always have a set of sportswear or dance outfit there for change.
No matter how tired I am, once I'm in my dancing clothes and shoes, I'm blissfully energetic.

I still remember the little details:
how we stretch against the mirrored wall,
the sound of dancing shoes on the wooden dance floor,
that relaxing scent of the classroom and
the bubbly sound from the tank of goldfish.
Oh! And one of the goldfish has a broken tail.
Those good old times....

In a split of a second, I understand why none of them know the song and I understand why my parents always tease me for my liking for anything from the past...
The song is 'Tea for Two'.
It was a popular song in 1925, reintroduced and made popular again by Doris Day in 1950.

It has such lovely lyrics:
I'm discontented with homes that are rented so I have invented my own.
Darling this place is a lover's oasis where life's weary chase is unknown.Far from the cry of the city, where flowers pretty caress the streams,Cozy to hide in, to love side-by-side in. Don't let it abide in my dreams.

Picture me upon your knee,

 just tea for two and two for tea,
Just me for you and you for me alone.
Nobody near us, 
to see us or hear us,
No friends or relations 
on weekend vacations,
We won't have it known, that we have a telephone.

Day will break and I'll awake
and start to bake a
 sugar cake 

for you to take for all the boys to see.


We will raise a family, 
a boy for you, a girl for me,
Oh, can't you see how happy life would be?

As I finally recall the name of the song (and singing it right now),
partly blissful reminiscing my good old dancing times and partly miserable about my revision,
I guess maybe my parents are right,
I was born in the wrong time and place...
but who cares?! I'm blissful singing Tea for Two in 2012 :)

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment