Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Resolution or Anti-Resolution

Resolution-setting is common and almost obligatory for the start of a year.
Having concrete goals is a great thing; meaning that you have plans, you are organized and orderly.
But sticking too much to inflexible plans/ obsessed with goal-setting is nothing cool.

Each year, my resolutions are more or less the same.
Yet, I cannot make them happen. And I'm definitely not alone.
My No. 1 resolution enemy: to lose weight.
I just never shed the weight, or worse, never determined enough to push myself towards that direction.

Funny illustration that speaks the mind of many, like me
Most of the time when one fails to achieve the resolutions, one gets frustrated.
Usually at the end of the year when one recalls, 'Ah-ha! Let me review the resolutions I wrote on 1st of Jan',
dig out the list, read through it.
Just to be disappointed and ashamed that only pathetically few number of goals are achieved.

And if you belong to the I-make-plans-and-I-follow-them group, let me first congratulate you having such determination, self-discipline and diligence which most of us lack.
But all that don't shield you from disappointments.
As some of you might know, I used to be a perfectionist and control-freak, in some aspects I still am, but way more relaxed and moderate that sometimes I'm too lazy now.

A lesson that I have learnt is that things do go wrong, no matter how hard you work or how detailed your 'perfect' plan is.
Things can go wrong in all the ways possible and unimaginable.
Plan ahead is an act of maturity, but don't let in curb your flexibility.
General direction and big picture are what you need, fill gaps in with some details, but not every single detail. Never.
You have to be able to react to unfavorable circumstances and have good crisis management.

2011 was the year that I purposefully did not set resolutions for myself.
No more 'To read more than 20 books a year, lose 10lbs, study for __ hours before examination' that kind of thing.
Directions, yes. But not anything specific.
I wanna stay open to possibilities and explore as much as possible.
I wanna be positive & inspiring.
I wanna love hard and stay curious.
I wanna have good health and build good relationships.
Simply, I wanna be the best that I can.

The result?
Well, I didn't lose 10 lbs. (In fact, I think I gained 10lbs...) But!
2011 was one of the best years of my life so far.
I am grateful for meeting awesome, nice people who teach and inspire me in many different ways.
I am grateful to love and be loved.
I am more curious and positive than ever.

I didn't live just according to numbers and plans, but with more spontaneity and passion.
It doesn't mean that I live a life with no self-discipline.
Instead, having open plans mean that I am more responsible to myself; that I have to exert more self-awareness and self-control.
I'm no expert on time management. But I think the year has been a great training.

Are you a I-follow-plans person or a I-have-the-big-picture person?
Will share with you my resolution/anti-resolution in the next post, and some good news too.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment