Friday, January 6, 2012

Calming Read & Movie Night

Watched the movie Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows.
Didn't watch the first one, but the sequel is incredible; exciting plot, action-packed and clever use of visual effects.
Really enjoyed it.
Though I heard someone snoring in the theatre and overheard a conversation in the ladies' room which goes like this:

Woman 1: You like the movie?
Woman 2: It's alright, except the slow motion shots. They are using that to lengthen the movie.
Woman 1: Who cares?! The actor who plays the doc is good-looking, what's his name?
Woman 2: I don't know.

I can't help but rolled my eyes, maybe more than once.
Not sure if it is the word, but the slow motion shots are sophisticated.
I bet it takes much effort and time to perfect it. And I admire people who make them.
People may like it or dislike it, but to lengthen the movie?! Seriously?
Not sleeping very well these days; sometimes because of work, sometimes due to the stress.
Try to have the best of both worlds, work and private life, and thus sacrifice some sleep time.
I sleep a little then get up after the midnight to do some quiet readings, for both work and leisure.

At times, because of the stress, I wake up in the middle of the night, knowing that I still have plenty to do.
These thoughts really stay in your mind, partly because they are true.
Sometimes my brain screams this to my face, like a slap: You should be more productive! You should be better then this! Go work your ass off!
Sometimes it works and I'll get up.

In either way, I end up waking up in the middle of the night to read.
Fortunately, it doesn't bother me much, yet.
I love to read and how quiet night is. Absolutely me time.

Last night, the same happened.
But what was on my mind is not studies-related, it is the book that I'm dying to read: 
Child of the Jungle by Sabine Kuegler.
I remembered what my friend/ prof / friendly prof told me: using reward as motivations for work, even before work.
To speak in the language of Psychology, one of the most famous works of B.F. Skinner, a learning theory called 'Operant Conditioning': To reward is positive reinforcement to encourage favourable behavior.
Nice. One more justification for me to start reading it. 

It's a captivating read, like a friend sharing her story.
Despite the Fayu tribe has a reputation of brutal killings and wars, her experience living with them in the jungle is entirely different, rather amicable and peaceful.
It is a difficult task to express one's awe for nature or trying to describe its beauty with the right words, without appearing to be exaggerating or overly poetic. I think the author has done a good job.

I have never lived in a jungle.
Thought the book is an exciting adventure (haven't finish it, maybe it is going to be),
but somehow it touches me and soothes me while amazes me.
The words are very simple, but to my surprise, incredibly calming and soothing.
I enjoy the moments of peace it gives me.

Who said nights are for sleep? : )

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment