Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Semester, New Start

First day of school.
Today is the first time that I'm happy and excited about going to school to have classes.
Really, the very first time, in nearly 3 years!

Am I very slow in adapting? Or just because now that I found myself again?
In either case, or both, it is a good thing that I enjoy my university life more than ever
What better way to start off a new semester by being lively and excited?

Besides the compulsory courses, I'm taking two major electives:
Security Studies (my incredible prof-and-adviser who I love to talk to, and whose courses I enjoy)
and IR Theories (the prof that I'm MOST afraid of, yet very knowledgeable. His courses are intellectually enrichment as well, but very challenging. He just gave me an A which I absolutely don't know how I managed to get it, I have no idea!).
People say taking 2 of the most challenging and heavy workload courses in one semester (to be specific, my last semester), is a suicidal act.
80-90 pages of readings/week & 50 min solo presentation for IRT class alone!

It is challenging but I would never call it 'suicidal', not even close.
I made my choices out of curiosity and desire for intellectual stimulation.
I want to stretch myself and bring myself to a higher level.
It might be a risk to GPA but a risk worth taking for.
How is that suicidal? I am actively living and learning!

If one dares not to take a brave step and explore out of one's comfort zone, there won't be growth or improvement, let alone surprises and fruits of hardwork.
I would rather try something new and exciting, than sticking to something that bores me, then in return having poor grades because my heart isn't in it.
Taking risk is almost a privilege to young people like me, because we have nothing to lose and life lessons only builds us stronger and better.
So, if not now, when?

I'm trying out new time management techniques to motivate myself more and hopefully curbing procrastination.
I always say, procrastination is more universal than democracy.
But I really want to let go of it and probably need to.
Trying out different techniques now, hope they work and I can keep up this determination.
If any one of you have your own little way to motivate yourself or stop procrastination, please teach me! :' (

These days, I'm doing the final procedures in my Master's application.
I might not miss my current university. But I would definitely miss my dear professors.
Writing references might as well be one of their job duties, but they just can't imagine how much it means to me.
I am grateful, even though I don't know how are my chances of getting into the program.

All my three profs, who I invited to be my referees, are incredible in their own way.
I have written a post on how each of them are inspiring me in their own way, but then I decide not to publish and deleted it.

I don't want them to feel like I'm flattering them because they wrote me references.
(Even though they might not read the post or simply don't know about my blog)
I don't want my prof to feel like I'm writing anything purposefully if he happens to read my blog.
Yes, by all means references are important.
But I am more grateful of how nice and inspiring they are to me, in academic area or beyond that.
So, I respect them enough that I would only write about them after my application process.
Just to guarantee that there won't be any 'conflict of interests'.
But I promise, I will write about them.

Whether you know me in person or not, please wish me luck in the new semester and my application! : )
If you happen to face some new start/changes/challenges in your life, I also wish you best of luck.
Do good, work hard, stay positive and be kind. I trust that good will come if we do so.

Much love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment