Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012!

Back home at around 3.
(I'm actually early. I heard that my grandparents were home later than me! Partying at the age of 70+!)
It took us an hour to walk from TST to my place
My boyfriend walked me home then it took him another hour to go home.
The jazz bar was very good, the music, band and atmosphere.
Not sensual, soft and intimate type of jazz, but big band sort of jazz, swing and festive.
Perfect for the new year's eve. We both have a blast.

Greetings from Hong Kong: Happy 2012!
Taken when we were on our way home. Didn't watch the fireworks.
Don't really like the crowd and the 'wow's as if they are kids.
Fireworks are beautiful, but I prefer the enjoy the show quietly or express the amazement quietly.

Woke up late today and  found home empty; just me and my unbearable craving for wonton noodles.
I have an obsession for wonton noodles, a local delicacy. Um...maybe not that local, since Chinese are everywhere now.
Every once in a while, I get sudden but strong cravings for it.
Usually when I just come back to Hong Kong from a trip.
But I guess it's a pretty good way to start off the year, eating comfort food and being down to earth.
Being simple and grateful is always the best attitude, isn't it? : )

My parents called and asked me to join them for brunch somewhere in TST.
It has traffic arrangements (again!) for some parade. I didn't want to walk an hour to get there.
At that moment, all in my mind is a good bowl of wonton noodles, simple as that.
I told them my craving and promised to take them to somewhere which is clean and serves good wonton noodles.
I bet I sounded desperate.They laughed and agreed to eat with me.
They laughed again when I ordered my 2nd bowl of wonton noodles.
Yup, I ate 2 large bowls of noodles. I told you the craving is unbearably strong!

I love how my parents always laugh when I do harmlessly stupid things.
They never criticize or control me excessively; only teach me important rules of life and then let me explore the rest.
I wanna be kind and loving just like them.
Probably I should treat my brother better too, my parents say I'm more like a mother than a sister to my brother. Worse, a typical Asian mother, the tiger mom, nagging him all the time and being mean.
Okay, I am gonna treat my brother better this year.

I have always told my parents that we should get each other gifts on special days.
But my mother doesn't understand it, she said, 'we don't have to wait for festivals to buy gifts!'
She is right, in a sense that every day could be a gift day, every day is the perfect day to express love and care.
I tried so hard to convince her that exchanging gifts on festivals or special days is something our family should do regularly as a tradition.
It's not about the price. It's about thinking of each other, addressing their needs or just making them happy.
I want handwritten notes/ cards and handmade little things.

My parents took my suggestion and gave me and my brother surprise new year gifts.
Just as my craving was satisfied and I was oh-so-happy, my parents gave me this bright orange-y box.
Gorgeous packaging

The packaging is oh-so-colorful and I looked just like this (probably starry-eyed too)--> : D
Unwrapping, unwrapping...what is it?
TA DA! my new wallet!

I just told you how much I love my old Kate Spade wallet and my parents got me a new one!
I love monochrome but not sure if I'm equally in love with the prints.

But I'm happy that my parents took my suggestion and I guess they like the new tradition too.
My mum was proudly saying that she knows that I adore the brand for its chic and fun.
She seemed to read my mind and said, 'I know your love the old one and intend to use it for a long time, but you can still use the new one. You can have both, don't feel like you're cheating on wallets!' and followed by laughter again.
My dad was saying he knows I like long wallets and it matches most of my outfits.
Both of them said they know I'd want to check out other wallets too, so they kept the receipt.
They know me so well!
And they said everything in that 'I-know-my-daughter-so-well-and-I'm-proud-about-that' tone that I can't help smiling to.

How can I not love my parents?!
Not just because they buy me stuffs, but more importantly because they know me well and love me as I am.
For what they did for us, all the sacrifices they made, their devotion and love for us, I'm eternally grateful.
Incredibly loving and supportive. And kind.

I wish them all the best in the coming year as they are about to make some important career decisions: they might work at home! Home office!
They are pretty excited about this home office idea.
Since their work can be quite flexible and that their smart phones or iPad or whatever it is can help them finish their work easily, they are thinking of giving the idea of home office a try.
I'm excited about transforming our study room into their new home office too!
I love home decor or doing these home makeovers.
Yup, I'm the art director at home and my ultimate goal is to re-paint the living room.
I mean it! I hate that sunset yellow we're having now. It gives me headache.

New year's day Dinner: seafood hot pot & Sake. Perrrr-fect match.
I'm gonna make breakfast for my family tomorrow. Shhh! It's a surprise!
I swear I needa work after tomorrow, or else I'll get into trouble and hate myself for having too much fun.

Happy 2012 to you. Thank you for reading.
Wish you a year full of love and blessings.

Love,
N

Upcoming post: Resolution (or Anti-resolution?)

2 comments:

  1. Tell you what I also spent my new year eve in a jazz bar in Seoul!! All the musicians were Koreans and the drummer was soooo awesome! The people were watching quietly as of they were in a concert hall or sth though..
    Haha the new wallet is so.. Not you :p
    Cu in a few days my dear!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one we were at was really festive,not my favourite type of jazz but it's gd for the countdown! and a little bit of dance :P
    about the wallet: YES! it's SO not me!! which is why my parents know they needa keep the receipt so that I can get sth else! i still love the old one, despite it's worn...maybe i should get other things instead!
    Can't wait to c u, love

    ReplyDelete