Saturday, January 14, 2012

On Trust

Welcome to adulthood;
when you can do exactly opposite to what you say, but still get away with it just because you are old enough.

When we were young, we were taught not to cheat and not to be selfish.
The ironic thing is the people who teaches us all that moralities and standards, the adults, do all the stuffs they teach us not to do.

Just as people turn into young adults, in their early 20s, some of them became impolite, reckless and not trustworthy.
I began to understand why people gave such negative label to 'Post-80s' (even though I'm a Post-80 too)
They ask you to do them a favor, don't show up as promised, don't even say sorry or thank you and take you for granted.
I wonder if I'm such a nasty spoiled brat too. I hope not.

Well, not that anything big happened to my life, just that my day was wasted by irresponsible people.
People didn't show up because it is their day-off, but none of them know that today is actually my day-off too.
And if they did not intend to come, then why, in the first place, did they ask me to bring everything back?

No, what happened today didn't strike me that badly.
Just that the moment when I said 'I won't trust them again', memories flashes back.
And I have to take back what I said and said 'No, I will keep trusting.'

I know, it's the reality and the bad side of human nature to be selfish.
I have seen enough of similar situations and sometimes I'm the bad person.
I'm not trying to criticize anyone to make myself appear to be better by comparison.
But have you ever thought that even if bad things happen often, it doesn't mean that they're more acceptable or okay?
Like rape or murder or war, they still happen every day, for God-knows how many years,
but does it makes them okay or acceptable?
If 'No' is your answer, then the same should be applied to other morals, like credibility and trustworthiness.
After all, morals are morals, instead of bigger morals that you must adhere and smaller morals that you can choose to adhere or not.
(Of course there are always dilemmas and exceptional cases where failing to adhere to some morals can be morally acceptable too, judging from the big situation)

At times I get frustrated and remind myself not to trust.
There was a period in my life, when I completely shut myself out emotionally because I was broken inside.
It was the time when I thought I could trust no one because I was shattered by lies and betrayals.
I did not even trust my family.

Mistrust, frustration, hurt, suspicion and distrust. 
A cycle like this can drive a person insane.
The only way to break the cycle is to be brave and trust again.
Yes, it means you are once again vulnerable to being hurt, disappointed or cheated.
But it also means that you might have a chance to taste the sweet reward of mutual trust.
That's the only way: to build trust with trust.

'Love all, trust a few and hate none.' is one of my favorite words-to-live-by.
Today, things didn't turn out very well, but I'm not at all disappointed.
I was grateful to find that there are some helpful people around me.
Just small gestures like to open the door for me, the push the button for me, that sort of things.
And other acts of kindness like letting me to put things in one's office, helping me to carry heavy stuffs, etc.

Some say it's what gentlemen do or it's just something trivial.
Yes, it's true. But these acts of kindness did made my day much better.

What I have learnt today:
1) Complain less, Appreciate more, Say Thank You.
2) Keep Trusting

Reminder to Self:
Be a responsible person, do my work asap and do them well, don't let down people who trust me.

My dear reader,
Please take 6 mins off from your work or whatever you're doing and watch this.
It puts a smile on my face, makes me feel much more hopeful and happy. I hope it does to you too.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment