Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thoughts On Fairness

Since the start of my 'adventure in the world of fair trade', I have been trying to figure out what fairness the notion itself is.
Asking 'does fair trade work?' or 'is fair trade fair?' is way too early, perhaps the question should be: does fairness ever exist?
I'd say fairness is an ideal that rarely exist in the reality of human society, let alone on the international arena.

1)  When a person, or a state, says a situation is fair, most of the time it is because they are the ones getting an upper hand.

2) Suppose both sides made a deal and got satisfied with what they can get out of it, it is still possible that fairness is irrelevant.
A consensus just means a compromise between the two parties, the final outcome is not necessarily fair.

3) Fairness is not the same as equality.
True that sometimes the two are exchangeable.
For example: equality before the law. Ok, that is fairness and justice.
But two people holding same position, getting equal pay but putting different amount of effort, even a child knows that it is not fair.

4) The origin of fairness is respect and appreciation.
Now it's getting even more abstract, but it's actually just common sense.
Why would you think a person deserves more?
(Well, given that your opinion is not partial and your judgement is sensible.)
It is because you recognize the effort and abilities of that person.
It is because you respect that person enough that you think he/she is entitled for the better.

As I explore the world of fair trade, question marks kept popping in my mind:
Is fair trade really fair? Is it working? Will it ever succeed?
How much could it change people's lives for the better?

It could only be fair that I make judgement after considering different or contrasting thoughts.
So, what if fair trade, at least what it is now, is no longer about the pursuit of ideal and ethics?
This afternoon, I came up with an idea: Fair trade might as well be fueled by middle class guilt.
It might have started off with good intention, but it might be transformed into a huge marketing ploy that cashes in on the guilt among people in wealthier countries
People feel guilty about earning at the expense of other human beings, so they invent a new way of doing charity while getting what they want.
Getting coffee in a slightly higher price and having a much better self-image.
Now, that's rational! Perfect demonstration of what it means by 'one stone kills two birds'.

Well, it's just a thought. Perhaps it is not true or maybe it is, I don't really care.
Whether the idea itself is right or wrong is not much of my concern.
After all, it's just a random thought, not that I'd put it in anything serious.
Most importantly, thinking amuses me. That's what matters.


Scholars or, in general, experts like to make predictions, as if everything works according to logic.
And most of the time, we listen to them and act accordingly, like sheep or dogs taking orders.
But let's not forget that they are human beings, just like you and I.
True that they are knowledgeable and intelligent, but intelligence doesn't make a person flawless.
No matter how hard one tries, it is just a fact that no one could be certain of the possible consequences or outcomes.
It is not even about our reasoning process or level of intelligence.
It is just a fact reality doesn't always work the way we think/expect/predict.
It just doesn't, that's it, fortunately or unfortunately.


Regardless of the future development, the idea of fair trade itself is a commendable one.
I believe that the farmers do deserve better or more, for the labor and effort they put in.
And simply because they are human beings like us, they are entitled to be fairly rewarded.
No one knows if fair trade could achieve that, but I would love to see situations improve and lives change.

Working on an interesting topic is not the only thing that keeps me going or passionate. (I don't even drink coffee.)
Perhaps it sounds like an overstatement, but I do get inspired from my research.
I respect those who are advocating and supporting the cause.
The pursuit of an ideal (any ideal) is never easy, especially when it involves such massive number of people and countries.
It is a battle.
Although it is not fought by guns and bullets, it can still costs lives.
It is not appropriate to compare death, but judging only by the duration of sufferings, dying of poverty is perhaps even more torturous than being shot.
I admire people's courage to speak up and step up for change.
I admire their creativity for innovations to tackle problems, or at least try to.
I learn that success does not always comes from winning, but from the courage to fight for what you believe in.

Who says research has to be confined to enrichment of knowledge?
I love all the inspirations and life lessons I got during my 'journey'.
That's what keeps me going. And I wish the research can last longer.

Dear readers,
Life is not fair.
But it doesn't mean we can't love and embrace it the best that we can, right?
Expect the unexpected. Find inspirations from even the most unlikely sources.
If you want to be inspired, you can always be.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment