Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thrilled & Humbled

The university happened to have a mini farmers' market with 2 different booths selling fairtrade products.
Naturally I visited both counters, as part of my research and simply caring for the cause.
Even though I have many questions in my mind, I told myself 'just go there as an ordinary consumer and experience fair trade in a different way. Think like a consumer, not a student.'
A different angle/ fresh perspective is always good. Always.

I am in this bottleneck of my research that I am mostly occupied by Colombian Spanish-English translation, that sometimes frustrates me and I'll think, 'what the heck am I doing? I'm not a translator.'
It's hard work but it's necessary and really nothing worth grumbling, because I love my baby. (Yea, you can tell I'm quite motherly, perhaps too motherly)
Today, I met an inspiring lady, a fair trade advocate, who sees the loopholes of fair trade labelling and decided to do fair trade in her own way.
She shared some real-life stories (at least that's what she said) and her own experiences in practicing fair trade.
I read a lot about how people suffer poverty, harshness of reality and the flaws of fair trade.
It breaks my heart, but readings don't strike me as much as just listening to this lady.

I teared up when we discussed key issues within the movement; problems and challenges.
And she wasn't even saying how hard life is or how poor the farmers are.
She answered a lot of the questions in my mind. At the same time, raising more.
But most importantly, her enthusiasm touches and motivates me.
I eventually realize that: in a way, I express my concern and love for the needy through my research.
Maybe it's a strange or useless way, but at least it could be a start.

Fair trade empowers marginalized producers and farmers.
And today, it empowers me as well.
I respect and salute those who fight for what they believe, justice and the love for humanity.
I want to be like them. I really do.

Another important thing for me today: 
I was humbled that I was said to be able to help someone during a difficult time of life.
By talking about random things, listening and enjoying the conversation, being curious and sometimes too curious, being honest and sometimes silly. (basically just being who I am & I'm no saint! :P )
But, really, I didn't do anything and I don't think I worth the appreciation. Not even the slightest bit of it.
Still, I'm very happy that I am trusted.
It's not about the compliment.
Just simply that I am trusted, that made my day.
Trust is so precious and I cherish that so much.
And, it means even MORE because I do trust and care for this person too.
It doesn't matter what status/ identity this person has, I don't give a damn.
It's more about the personality and character, or simply this person being who he/she is and me being who I am.
And honestly, I should be the one saying 'thank you'.

Inspiration/ Reminder of the day:
It doesn't matter if you are doing sth big like changing how international trade works, or just being a good listener. Or in other ways, be they grand plans or just tiny little things.
It doesn't matter what you do, but how you do it.
The essence of fair trade is not on 'trade', but 'fair'.
Equally, it's not what you can do for a friend or any other person, but how you do it.
DO THINGS WITH LOVE, even the smallest thing. Show love in every way possible.
Just love in its purest form; totally unrelated to self-interest or personal desires, just for the love of humanity.
Love as hard as you could. 

Final note to all my readers and a special one,
I don't know what you are going through and I don't even have to know what that is.
We all have our share of terrible times and feeling awful, but hang in there: stay strong and keep fighting.
And one thing for sure: you'll always have my blessings. Always.

Much love,
N

P.S. The joy of blogging is not about whether it gets read, but just simply the honesty.
Being completely honest with how I feel and tell people what I think, that's a true luxury in life.
Thank you, blogosphere and lovely readers. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment