Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Weather

In the later part of this post, I explain why the weather is an easy way to start conversations.
Not because I get annoyed by casual conversations, nor am I overthinking about human conversations.
I just got an 'inspiration', sadly from being cold and shivery all day long.
I didn't pay attention to weather forecasts (for good reasons haha), I didn't wear enough, I shivered and my hands are icy cold.
In today's reading quiz when we were asked to define 'security' and what it means for us, I was tempted to write: 'For today, my prime security concern is whether I can stay warm and survive without catching a cold.'
I could imagine the look on his face if my prof ever reads such an answer, written almost anonymously.
Of course I didn't write what was truly on my mind, but I can't help smiling.

I was plain careless and stupid to have worn a cotton maxi dress to school, with just a summer blazer.
Black maxi dresses are my absolute favs: unbelievably comfortable, incredibly simple, very versatile and give you a bit of air/drama while still being subtle.
I have about 10 plain black maxi dresses (too many, I know...) in different shapes and cuts and I love all of them. I love my maxi dresses in other colors too, of course.And it seems to me that locals don't appreciate maxi dresses as much as other places do?
Today, I got more than 20 people, literally, asking me about my outfit.
Some out of appreciation, most out of curiosity. I didnt really give any meaningful answer.
It's just a black maxi dress, and a cotton one, I don't need an occasion/ reason to wear what I feel comfortable in.
If track pants and sweaters are your 'sloppy' wear, maxi dresses are mine.
(Especially the one I am wearing today is not body-hugging)
I probably miss warmer days too much that I can't wait to change my wardrobe, unconsciously.

Ok, back to weather.

People, even strangers, like to say 'the weather's fine/awful today, huh?'.
And then the response would be 'oh yea.'
It could be one of the most 'meaningless' conversations.
No, interaction between people or the nature of the interaction is never meaningless.
By 'meaningless', I only mean the content.

Like when I was on a plane, I met someone I know and both of us are going to the same destination (same plane), and I was asked, 'You going to _____?'
Naturally, I nodded, smiled and said 'Yes! Just going with my family (who were just next to me)'
On a second thought, hey! isn't that obvious?!
Why do we ask questions when we obviously have the answers? Do we realize we ask such questions?
I bet most of we have encountered such seemingly meaningless conversations,
but I guess we seldom give it a thought about why we say such things and why we keep behaving the same way.

Even though we face more and more climate changes and extreme weather conditions, we are much less vulnerable to changes of weather now, than our ancestors did in the past.
But still, we talk about it, even when we are safe and cozy.
Why?

What makes weather such an easy topic?
Politics, economy and religion; these topics classify people even when we don't mean to.
Relationships, sex and 'deeper' topics; too personal and sensitive to share.
Philosophical or academic topics: could be interesting but we all need breaks.
Crazy ideas and taboos? None of us want to be socially awkward or to offend someone.
This 'by-elimination' process leaves 'weather' to be perhaps easiest topic for conversations.
What makes it so?
1) It affects all of us, absolutely all of us. No matter what age, class, nationality, intelligence, we are all vulnerable.
2) It's very much related to our daily lives.
3) And yet, it's not personal.

As I am writing, I still feel the chill.
It seems that a hot shower and hot dinner fail to remove this chillness inside my body.
Get away from me, annoying cold!
It gives me warmth at heart to have such an incredibly sweet boyfriend to keep texting me to see if I'm alive after I called him once to complain about being cold.
I shouldn't have teased him, I just couldn't help!
He's so concerned and serious, as if I'm a helpless baby left alone in a snowstorm!
R, I'm sorry to have made you worried.
Even though you can't pick me up from school and give me a 'real' warm hug, I feel your love.

Stay warm!

Love,
N

Update: getting a fever now...
I got plenty to read and work to do, can't afford to be sick...Hate it! :' (

No comments:

Post a Comment