Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Survived a family brunch gathering that lasted for 3 or 4 hours today. Same old place.
I'm NOT complaining on the quality of the food, but I just think certain food should stay as authentic and traditional as possible.
One thing that I dislike is restaurants adding unnecessary 'luxurious' ingredients into every dish that they produce, turning a simple dish into something pricey and too fancy.
Some dishes are MADE to be simple in order to be comfort food or recall certain childhood memories.

For example, steamed shrimp dumplings.
All I ask for is thin wrapper, not-too-tiny shrimp bits and tiny pieces of bamboo shoots. That's it.
Nobody should invent shrimp dumplings with black truffles, bird's nests and shark fin.
(Also, please stop eating shark fin)

Still about the food, I like that they make tofu pudding (Tofu fa), a dessert, in front of us.
While my relatives didn't even give a glance, I stood there and talked to the chef.
Obviously making this dessert is too simple for a chef and probably most of us know what tofu is made of.
But still, how often do you get to see how tofu is prepared?
He even let me try how to make it, which is nice.

It's already 4sth after brunch.
The four of us went for a walk and do some shopping for tonight's dinner.
Went to a boutique with mom and I got her a beautiful chiffon dress.
And a chiffon cape with delicate hand-sewed beads and embroideries.
I like that it is delicate and looks vintage.
Just that I don't know what to wear it with...yet.

Dad and I made dinner for the whole family.
Simple but delicious.
Dinner for tonight:
-Romaine salad with crispy bacon and caramelized onion
(before I could stop it from happening, someone added veggie chips on fresh veggie salad, totally random...)
-Poached egg on toasted wheat bread
-Salmon Steak in Honey Mustard Sauce (My 1st attempt to make honey mustard sauce: simple and quite successful I'd say)
-Extra: Bite-sized Angus beef for the guys (don't look good on pics so no pics to share)
Drinks: White and Rose. Just need something cold and refreshing, not being picky at all.

Picture time!
Totally random veggie chips that my bro sprinkled on the dishes
I kept the salmon skin simply because we like it that way.
On the kitchen countertop
The salmon doesn't look moist here, but it really is moist and half-cooked.
Exactly the way it should be prepared. :)
The excitement of cutting a poached egg turns me into a kid again.
Excitement from a poached egg, works every single time.
Pleasure in everyday simplicity :)
Mum, I hope you've enjoyed the day.
I love you, not just on Mother's Day or your birthdays, you know that.
Even though I have not told you or dad, I sometimes wonder: if I ever had a daughter like myself; curious, sensitive, stubborn, perfectionist, complicated and weird, I'm not sure if I can handle that, I'll go insane.
But here you are, being laid-back, supportive and trusting all at the same time.
With me being such a pain in the ass  just the way I am, I think you've done a great job, Mum. :)

I never told you this: sometimes I see myself as such a loser and a failure.
Thank you for trusting me and loving me the way I am.
At times when I feel absolutely terrible, depressed or having storms in my head, I know you noticed it, just that you choose not to ask but wait for me to decide whether I want to share with you or not.
Mum, thank you for giving me so much freedom and trust for me to be myself and to be different.
I hope one day I'll make you very proud.
Maman, je t'aime toujours.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment