Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Deeply Superficial

Quiz time: who said the following ?
1) 'I am a deeply superficial person.'
2) 'Being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art. Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.'
3) 'Everybody will be famous for 15 minutes.'

No idea?
Big hint: The same person who created these art pieces.


Went to the Art Museum for Andy Warhol's exhibition two weeks ago, with my dad.
I'm not particularly into pop art. 
Yes, it is bright, colorful, and often has a sense of humor. 
But sometimes, its sense of humor is in a way...weirdly creepy.

Plastic-y, fake, thick and sticky paint, glossy material...sort of reminds me of a crazy clown that entertains you and then all of a sudden turns into an insane serial killer chasing after you with a knife.
Some of Andy Warhol's works still give me this killer-clown feeling.

But still, the exhibition is quite a delight.
I'm not particularly fascinated by his famous works Marilyn Monroe, Mao Zedong, Cow and the Campbell Soup Can series.
They are nice but they don't make me wow.
On the contrary, his earlier works are much more interesting--they are very adorable.

Too bad the exhibition does not showcase a lot of those works, but we have the Internet. :)
His works from the late 1950s are so adorable that I could imagine sharing his illustrations with children and making them smile.
Little girls would love these painting.
I'm no longer a litter girl but they are so cute that I wish I could be able to draw like that.
If I could draw such cute and sweet things, I would doodle a lot and draw these for people I love.
Basket of Flowers 1958
Butterfly Layered Cake 1959

Some of the works in '25 Cats Named Sam and One Blue Pussy'

Ice Cream Dessert 1959 
So Happy 1958

A Gold Book 1957
Lips
Aren't they lovely? :)
Other than these sweet illustrations, his nature and animal themed paintings are also my cup of tea.
I guess it has to be with my inner wild child.

Flower for Tocama Dome 1982
Kiku 1983
African Elephant 1983 
Grevvy's Zebra 1983

Cat 1976
(What a pretty kitty! J'adore!)

I was surprised that he did a portrait for Hedy Lamarr.
She was such a beauty. I think she is one of the prettiest women, like Grace Kelly.
But she was so much more than just a pretty face, she was also a very intelligent woman who contributed to our modern technology.
Um...I should write a featured post on her.

Last piece of Andy Warhol's work that I want to share with you---Male Fashion Figure 1960.
I really like the fine details on the fabric part, really resembles the texture of fabric.
My dad seemed to like the bright colours and the playfulness of pop art.
It was a delight that I went to the exhibition with him.
We both enjoyed the relaxing afternoon. 


After the exhibition, I want something. Two things actually.
No no, not two pieces of his art.
I want:
1) A colouring book featuring his work. Would be very fun to re-interpret his works with different combination of colors
2) A day for an art date with my friends creating art that is Andy Warhol or pop art inspired. Would be so fun! 

Dear readers,
Do you like pop art?

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment