Monday, January 7, 2013

Things I Have Learnt From My Old-New Job

Time flies.
Having lessons, studying and taking exams feel like yesterday.
For the record, I actually like exams.
The word 'like' is an understatement, though 'love' would be an exaggeration.
Spending the entire day reading,
discovering something new that I've missed (always the case),
having a better understanding or a whole different interpretation of what I have learnt,
the half-anxiety-half-excitement thrill that I have right before exam starts,
the sound of scribbling (you know we don't write in exams, we scribble) and flipping paper (particularly true in open-book exams, we flip over notes as if we are beasts!),
the bittersweet feeling when the exam is over--'happy it's over! But wait, did I screw up? I didn't do that bad. No, damn! I could have done much better!

All of these feel like yesterday...or maybe a week ago. :)
I'm now in a totally different environment: workplace.
My 1st job after graduation is better than I thought--no mean and demanding boss, no unfriendly gossiping colleagues, not much office politics, no after hours work etc.

As I am about to leave this too-good-to-be-true job for a challenging-but-still-exciting new job,
I'd like to write down the lessons I have learnt from this job, both as a reminder for myself and for some of you who are having a bit of a struggle with their work.

Here are a few things that I have learnt:


1) Colleagues and atmosphere are more important than you think.
Most of us thought the quality of our work is mostly based on us, our abilities, efficiency, IQ and EQ and all that kind of things.
It's true but having a friendly office atmosphere is just as important.
One thing I really like about this office is that people greet each other, even if they don't know each other.
As long as we are going to the same floor in the elevator, we know we are working for the same organization. You don't see people building walls around them, saying 'I'm from this team and you are from another team'.
People bring in homemade cakes, bake cookies, buy everybody breakfasts or afternoon snacks, etc.
I really like the atmosphere there where people share and treat each other with trust and respect.
Communicate and build relationships!


Tip 1: Always greet your colleagues.
Tip 2: Smile. Be nice. Share. Be human. Not just at work but everywhere.
Being professional doesn't mean you have to be a cold robot.


2) Think and use your common sense.
Common sense is, unfortunately, not common.
Even if you don't fully understand the importance of the task you were given, or for some reason you don't have to permission to understand everything fully, try your best to know what you are doing as much as possible.
Ask as many questions as you can, within the authority that your job gives you.
Remember: Always be careful with what you do and use your common sense.

3) Learn from your mistakes.

People make loads of careless and avoidable mistakes.
Well, to err is human.
But to make the same mistakes over and over again? No excuse.
Expect more from yourself.


4) Resist temptations. Have your own rules.
I meant temptations of all sorts. But here, I specifically mean the temptation to dress down.

With my job, I don't have to deal with clients in person. Just a few times over the counter.
I do have to work around a lot, fetching files, distributing files etc.
But most of the time, I have a typical sit-down office job.
So I see a lot of my colleagues wearing very comfortable clothes, especially on no-meeting days.
For example, runners and sweatshirts.
Sometimes ladies kick off their heels and change into their slippers as they reach their office.

It is awkward to see a manager walking around in her slippers while distributing work to her subordinates.
She is so neatly dressed on top and her slippers just ruined the image in a millisecond.
I know heels hurt like bitches. But to be fair, a good pair of heels hurt much less.
And if you still wanna wear slippers, it's ok but please change back into decent shoes before your feet leave the shades of your desk.

5) Listen and observe.
Just a general rule in life that I always stick to.
People don't always mean what they say and sometimes they don't even know what they want!
Listen and observe. Don't talk back.
Even if you have a good reason to, choose an appropriate way to express it.

6) Expect more of yourself. Work in your own pace and schedule. Don't compare.
Just because your colleague finishes 30 files in a day doesn't mean you can't finish 50.
You don't have to slow down your work, unless your supervisor requests it.
You don't have to speed up in sacrifice of the quality of your work either.
As long as you know what you are doing and you communicate well with your colleagues, stick to it. Competition doesn't always boost productivity.

7) Make yourself home to your workplace.
No I don't suggest bringing a pillow.
But adding a few personal touches while staying professional isn't a bad idea.
Organize your work desk the way it works best for you.
If you could ever see my work desk and my former-colleague-now-friend's desk, you can totally see how different we are.

8) Don't Gossip.
I am very lucky that people don't gossip much and there is only minimal office politics.
If you happen to work in a place full of gossips and rumours (which I guess 99% workplace is), hold back your tongue and stay away from it.
Gossips and rumors are not juicy---they are hurtful and counterproductive.




9) Try to love what you do.
Remember that there is always something you can learn from it.
Discover and focus on the fun part.

10) Learn to detach.
On days when I have bad mood, I can't work properly. So I have yet to master this.
Focus on your job and leave other matters at the back of your head.
Equally important, let work stays in where it belongs---office.
Once you leave your office, try to relax and destress.

I truly enjoyed the time I spent in that job.
It was more exciting than I could have thought.
People are nice and I still remain friends with the other new girl.
We have lunch dates, movie dates, share books. We call each other and text each other often.
I hope my new job is gonna be equally exciting and fruitful.


Dear readers,
What do you learn from your job? Do you enjoy it?
I hope you do.
Keep discovering new things and appreciate life.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment