Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lingerie Shopping (Part 1): Because I Said So


Recently, I went lingerie shopping with my friend.
It was quite an experience.


'This brand is known to be functional--they put your body in the right places!' she exclaimed with excitement.
Okay, if there is anything that can re-direct fat to the right places, it deserves the Nobel Prize.
So we headed into the store and soon found ourselves surrounded by:
1) women who want their fat 're-directed' and
2) not-flattering bras (You know, those heavily-padded ones with excessive laces and weird colors.)

While we were swimming around in the sea of women and unflattering bras, we heard door bells ringing all the time, even without customers walking in.
That was weird but we didn't bother to figure out why.

It took both of us some time to found 1 bra that is 'acceptable-looking' that we decide to try on.
We weren't impressed by the design, we were just curious to know what's so special about this brand's products.
There was a long queue so we suggest sharing a fitting room.

So I stood there queuing up because I am completely uninterested by their other designs.
A saleswoman walked up to me...
I SWEAR she is actually a magician!
she slipped a measuring tape around my waist then up to my chest in the blink of an eye.
Before I knew, she measured my size and announced it.

I stood here, completely shocked and embarrassed.
I felt my ears burning and my cheeks blushing.
Yes, the store is filled with females and I'm not particularly ashamed of my measurements, but having a complete stranger to measure me without my consent and THEN announced it?
Well, thanks, rude stranger.

Finally, our turn to the fitting room.
'Ring the bell when you are ready, I'm gonna come in and check,' the sales lady said.
They have door bells in each fitting room and whenever a customer needs assistance, they ring the bell.
No, it's not that kind of sweet customer service.

The saleswomen there seem to have a very good potential to be teachers--to be specific, those discipline department teachers who are straight and mean.
Or, they have the potential to be most nagging and annoying girlfriends and moms.
They are exactly the women who put one hand on their waists and have the other hand pointing at you, saying 'no!'
So, it's more like 'You can't buy a bra without my approval. Why? Because I said so!' that kind of thing.



When my friend and I were changed into that bra we wanna try on, we looked at each other and asked ourselves, 'do we really have the push that button and call her in?'
We actually had to summon up our courage when we hit that button.
Within a few seconds, the woman came in.

I was trying to tell her that I need something bigger, but before I finished my sentence, she dropped hers, 'no, this design is not good for your body. Anything else you wanna try?'
'I need a larger...' I responded.
'No, you can't.' She firmly said.
I was slightly offended and said, 'I don't have anything else I want.'
Then she moved on to help my friend--just to pick her another size which she didn't feel comfortable in.

Both of us were not satisfied and we left.
We were a bit shocked by the sales lady.
She is like a military officer giving orders: No! Not for you! Listen to me! You can't!
And my friend and I were obviously two gentle sheep that she kicked around.



How stressful it is to be family or friends with a person like that?
Imagine having someone pointing her finger at you for whatever you do, every single day.
I am afraid of stern women. (or any stern, mean people actually).


It was some stressful shopping experience but we laughed it off.
Actually once we stepped out of the store, we can't stop laughing.



To be continued.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment