Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chanel No. 5

Up to the moment when you are reading this, I am still not sure if I should write this critique on Brad Pitt & Chanel No. 5's new ad campaign.

First of all, I do not particularly like the brand Chanel.
Coco Chanel is a strong-willed and talented woman who I respect. Salute to the remarkable and inspiring Coco Chanel. But the fashion house that she founded is becoming more and more dull, always the same old stuffs are make a girl appear to be old and boring; quilted handbag, tweed jackets or suits, monochrome and fake pearls, etc.

Coco Chanel

And it seems to worsen, let's take a sneak peek at the 2013 S/S Collection, should we?
If there is a competition on ridiculous ugly and impractical fashion pieces, meet one of the winners!
Hula hoop bag from Chanel's 2013 Spring/Summer Collection. 
I wonder who'd get this, even the smaller ones are ugly.


Second, I dislike Karl Lagerfeld.
While acknowledging the fact that he is internationally influential and talented, he is overrated. Like most old men, he constantly makes random yet unacceptably rude comments like calling Newsweek a 'shitty little paper', saying that Kate Middleton's sister Pippa has a terrible face and should only show her back etc. And it seems like he is eternally stuck with his complex over his age by dressing like a gothic teenager.
Even though I should be putting his picture here, I am not going to because that man is unbearable and I'm not sorry for saying that.

Third, Chanel No. 5 the fragrance does not appeal to me.
If one has to name the most famous women's fragrances in this century, Chanel No. 5 is sure to be on the list.
But if I am to name a fragrance that perhaps even my grandma wouldn't wear it, it is got to be the same Chanel No. 5 too.
When sex icon Marilyn Monroe was asked what she wore to bed, she declared 'a few drops of Chanel No.5', making the perfume very famous.
Okay, okay, I know all that history.


It is described as classic and how a woman should smell like.
Do I wanna smell like that? No, thanks.

Perhaps it is the fact that Chanel No. 5 was formulated in 1920s that makes the fragrance smells a bit...outdated?
Or the opposite--perhaps I'm not mature and feminine enough for it?
That I do not know.




I have never liked it since I first smelled it.
To be fair and responsible to what I write (even though this is just a personal blog), I tried it again lately. Both on paper and on skin.
Still, I do not like it.
For a few reasons:
1) It doesn't suit me nor my age. I imagine that it suits mature women more, probably my great grandmother if she is still alive. But my guess is that she would find it appalling too.

2) Complicated and intoxicatingly overpowering. Yes, intoxicatingly.
Having 80 different ingredients in one single fragrance formula sounds a bit too much, while I have to admit that I do not know the usual average number.
In general, I am more into floral scents. Spicy tones? I can handle that too.
But Chanel No. 5? It smells like a mixture of everything pungent, so overpowering that it literally gives me a headache.


Up to this point, I guess I've made it clear that Chanel No. 5 cannot make it to my fragrance shelf.
So, why am I writing this post when I have so many reasons not to?
The mere fact that this is the very first time that Chanel is using a man to speak for its fragrance.
First male face fronting for this ad campaign,
Brad Pitt, one of the world's sexiest men (which I humbly disagree even though his sexiness is actually none of my business), one of world's most famous fragrances, famous director...this combination sounds very fail-proofed.

To be honest, I was having some expectations for the new ad.
I was curious and imagining what it would be like.
Despite this seemingly fail-proofed combination, let's say it turned into a recipe for disaster.
Lesson learnt: One only gets disappointed when having too high expectations.

He looks much better in this picture...




and this picture.

This ad campaign has brought Brad Pitt US$7 mil.
Quite some easy money, considering his 'labour' in this 30-second video.
Grey-ish dull, inconsistent-lit room (perhaps to match with the line 'the world turns and we turn with it'?), Brad Pitt's fake and exaggerating pronunciations, his empty and focus-less eyes that kept looking here and there, etc.
I watched the video for half a dozen times, NOT because I like it but because I can't believe how bad it is.
The first 2 times went past very quickly because I was jaw dropped, not amused nor amazed, but thinking, 'what?! Seriously?! This is it?!'
The next few times, my response was 'this is unbelievable, they are shameless in making this and actually releasing it!'
The last time and my final comment was, 'poor Brad Pitt...This vid might boost publicity as if he is not popular enough. But, what an eternal flaw to his career!'

The ad that disappointed me

Come on! Man, woman and fragrance. What else?
It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something nicer that what the vid is.
Any lame love story would have been much better than this 'my luck, my fate' thing.
Shouldn't it be sensuous?
Shouldn't it appeal to our senses?
Shouldn't it be seductive, alluring, teasing and tempting?
Shouldn't it be about the art of attraction without using a single word?
Shouldn't it be like the endless battle of seduction and love between the sexes?
Shouldn't it be like a sexy tango, a tender lingering touch, a passionate kiss, the stare before the kiss, a flirtatious but meaningful and wise conversation or an exciting romantic adventure?
Seriously, what else?

Dear readers, if you were to direct an ad campaign for any fragrance, what would it be like? 
What is/are your favourite fragrance(s) for men or for women?
Whatever your preferences are, just one rule: always smell nice. :)

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment