Sunday, November 25, 2012

Birthday

'Let's party! Time to drink champagne and dance on tables!'
I could still hear the voices of my friends, particularly the ones in the US, saying this.
Oh yes, and their 'woohoo'-s.

Sometimes I find this funny, we human beings are just too good at making up excuses for celebrations, aren't we?
Festivals, New Year, anniversaries, the day we first met, our first date, graduation, 100th day of the newborn...you name it.
It seems that anything could be a reason to eat, drink and be merry.


I recall what I wrote on the invitation for the dinner on my birthday last week:
'While life continue to suck after we left the uni, never run out of excuses for fun and good times!'


Of course, by 'fun and good times', I don't just mean feasts, parties and alcohol.
It's just that sometimes life gets repetitive and dull that we easily forget how precious and wonderful life itself is.
Everyone knows the truth is that the more we feast, party and consume alcohol, the farther we are from happiness.
But the ironic part is that even everyone knows this, so many continue to make the same mistake.
Remember that guilt you have which came along with the extra pounds after you ate too much?
(Yea, the food was too good and I won't be able to resist it either.)
And that terrible hangover you have the next day after you drank a little too much?
(Well, perhaps it was more than just a little...)
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about because, once again, most of us share the same human experiences.
Have you heard saying this? I'm sure I'm not the only one.


Do we really need this much of celebrations?
Or is this the way we entertain ourselves because most of the time we are miserable?


While I am aware of the sugar-coated trap of vanity, I believe every day should be embraced and celebrated.
But not with feasts, champagne and recklessness.
Instead, a whole lot of positivity and love.
English: Life is full of little pleasures
I find myself surrounded by love and blessings, even on days that I feel so bad and negative.
Sometimes when I count my blessings, I feel perplexed: do I really deserve all these?
I honestly think I'm just a girl. Just a girl who is SO DAMN lucky!

'What do you want for your birthday?'
They often expect to hear names of some objects or some brands.
I usually say 'something so precious that I could press my heart against'.
Like a handwritten card with blessings so sincere that the person mean every word he or she writes.

Of course, I appreciate that people are sweet and thoughtful enough to buy me gifts.
But, let's say people aren't very good at listening---I usually end up getting things I didn't say I want, rather than cards.

'Why aren't people better listeners?'----a forever mystery that no one can solve.
Agree with me?

Every year, I ask myself the same question, 'another year older, what's next? what do you want now?
I made a list of goals that I made for myself, not just for the coming year before another birthday, but for the rest of my life.
If a goal has to be concrete, then I'm pretty bad at making a list of goals because I never write something specific like 'save up $____ each month' or 'read 2 books each month'.

But I still think I made an incredible list of life goals and list of things I wanna do.
One of the items on the list:
'Have a constant positive attitude that radiates and a big heart which never seem to run out of love.'

At the end of the day, it's not money and rituals that matters, it doesn't even matter if one is knowledgable, intelligent and well-mannered.
All it matters is a person's heart and virtues.

Is this not the biggest treasure in life?
It's a luxury that can never be bought, only be earned with great effort.
But once you have it, even the most notorious thieves can't steal it.

I could not imagine a better crowning glory than a personality that sparkles and shines better than all the diamonds in the world and a heart of pure gold.

A very important thing I learned: the gift of love can only be appreciated and returned by sharing.
It would be mere selfish if I only accept blessings and love from others.
Of course one has to be grateful, but gratitude is only the start, spreading the love is the next.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share with you a poem by Emily Dickinson titled 'If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking'.

It goes like this:

'If I can stop one heart from breaking, 
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.'

May I give it a twist and add this,
'If I can give the world the gift of love,
I shall not live in vain.'

This is my birthday wish, what's yours? :)

Dear readers,
No matter who you are, how old you are, where you are,
if so it happens that today is your birthday,
I send you my blessings and my love.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment